The workshop will be arranged in the northernmost part of Europe in the village of Nuorgam and by the shore of Arctic Ocean. The workshop is intended for intermediate and experienced photographers who possess a certain mastery of their camera and for other photography enthusiasts who want to master the basic camera settings and want to learn how to shoot the northern lights while developing as a landscape photographer.
Date: 26th of September – 2nd of October, 2020
Duration: 6 nights/7 days
Depart/Arrival: Ivalo village, Finland
Group size: 4-7 persons
This Northern Lights photography workshop gives you the best chances to experience all this and capture awe-inspiring experiences with your camera by the instruction of a local and professional guide, Jouni Männistö from Arctic Camera. The arctic nature in the late autumn, after the summer and before the winter, is colourful and climate is not extreme cold yet. It gives you enjoyable opportunities to photograph the Northern Lights. Unique and outstanding nature of Lapland and the Arctic combined with a warm atmosphere await you.
Northern Lights are the most spectacular colour show of northern nature. They are light phenomena appearing as colourful, dancing and quickly moving lights that change form, and can be viewed in the northern regions in dark and clear night skies. Northern Lights can be observed starting from the last week in August, when the nights start to darken. Northern Lights can be viewed through to mid-April, following which the nights become too bright to spot these light phenomena. The more north you travel, the more often you will see the Northern Lights, and they are often visible throughout the night. The Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) are natural phenomena that can be forecasted on the basis of solar wind activity and of course the weather. If the weather will be too cloudy it`s not possible to see the Northern lights.
The northernmost village of European Union, Nuorgam is unique in Finland in terms of landscapes, natural light and atmosphere. There are no other villages in the Northern Lapland with treeless fell highland than in Nuorgam. What’s more, Norway and the Arctic Ocean are nearby, providing many photography spots. There is plenty to photograph and film throughout the year, and photographers get to experience and film the strong sense of eight seasons in Nuorgam.
The workshop’s objectives, target group and content
The workshop is intended for intermediate and experienced (advanced level) photographers who possess a certain mastery of their camera. The goal of the workshop is to help you to learn photograph the Northern Lights and at the same time to provide nature adventures in inspiring landscapes. In addition to theory lessons, the workshop participants will carry out assignments and receive feedback on their pictures. During the trip, the goal is to be actively photographing as much as possible. The small-group size allows the participants to benefit from ample guidance and feedback while on location. Terrain could be challenging but the walking distances are short (moderate). Note! We could not quarantee the appearing the Northern Lights due to weather conditions (if cloudy and rainy nights), but we promise to find the best opportunities enjoy the course and surroundings.
Theory lesson themes contents:
- Equipment for the Northern Light´s photographer
- Camera settings
- Manual focusing
- Northern Lights as a phenomenom
- Northern Light forecast
Clients workshop equipment:
- Digital camera and camera manual
- Lenses (at least wide-angle lens f2,8 or more luminous)
- Adobe Lightroom (or similar) for editing
- Clothing of weather appropriate (0-+5 Celsius)
- Outdoor boots
- Head lamp
Arctic Camera, your trainer of the photography workshop
Arctic Camera in Ivalo in Finnish Lapland specializes in photography travel services. The company arranges excursions and provides tour operator services. My name is Jouni Männistö, I will be your trainer during the workshop. I´m local photographer, and I´m the owner and founder of Arctic Camera. I have extensive experience in nature tours and Northern Light photography. In addition to my nature hobbies, I also enjoy photographing in my spare time. I am the chair of our local photography association and I love to spend time in nature with my camera and telescope. I am passionate about location in northern Norway, and therefore I give my customers from all over the world the opportunity to join me on excursions there, to take pictures and enjoy the spectacular scenery.
Nuorgam Holiday Village
Nuorgam Holiday Village and their environs are surrounded by a number of different sights and day trip locations. Staying at Nuorgam Holiday Village you can experience two nations on one trip!
The Norwegian border is merely a stone’s throw away and the Arctic Ocean is only half an hour’s drive from Nuorgam. The clean and oxygen-rich air will ensure you sleep soundly at Nuorgam Holiday Village. You can stay with us any time of the year in high-standard apartments. The location of the holiday village on the shores of the great Tenojoki River, surrounded by the grand fell highlands, guarantees perfect natural tranquility.
Welcome with us!
Bookings and further information:
SALES AND WORKSHOP TRAINER :
ACCOMMODATION, MEALS AND OPTIONAL EXCURSIONS:
Holiday Village Nuorgam
Ms. Marjatta Holmberg and Mr. Raimo Hekkanen
– 20 % deposit after the booking and the rest 30 days /1 month before arriving. Arctic Camera send an invoice by email.
Terms of cancellation:
Please get to know our terms of cancellation.
Please contact Arctic Camera
We reserve the rights to change the order of the daily programs.
Accommodation to choose from
New high standard cabins right in the shore of Tenojoki River – with a hint of local luxury
There are four superior cabins with riverview. The brand-new semi-detached cabins are sitting right in the banks of Tenojoki River. Big windows offer a view over to the northern sky, from the lounge area you can admire Northern Lights. On the river side terrace, you can enjoy the silence and the spectacular fell landscapes.
Each cabin is comfortably and tastefully decorated with a combination of wood and modern design inspired by Lappish arctic nature and all 8 seasons’ colours. The spacious cabins are well-equipped. Fireplace is giving a warmth and sauna helps to relax after an active day in nature. The cabins are located in their own peacefulness but only 100 meters away from the main building where breakfast and dinner are served. The cabins are ideal for two persons but also meet the needs for a family of three or four persons. Size of the cabin is 40 m².
These cabins are perfect to calm down, enjoy the spectacular views and experience the true sound of silence..
Facilities and amenities:
- Two semi-detached houses: each house has two individual cabins, all in all four Superior cabins with private sauna
- Size of one cabin is 40 sqm
- One bedroom with high quality double bed (180cm wide, beds can be separated)
- Bed linen and towels
- Lounge area with open-plan kitchen (full equipped)
- Sofa bed for 1-2 persons (155 cm wide)
- Spacious entrance hall
- Dinner table and chairs
- Bathroom with toilet, shower and sauna
- Furnished terrace decking on riverside
- TV and WIFI
- Parking space with outlet for electric heating
Apartments with own sauna
The atmosphere-rich apartments with sauna have been recently renovated and decorated in good taste. There are four open-plan apartments with sauna providing accommodation for 18 guests. The apartments are located in the main building or its immediate vicinity.
Facilities and amenities:
- electrical heating and lighting
- family room (lounge)
- two double bedrooms
- extra sleeping space for two persons on sofabed,
- clothes dryer
- two toilets
- shower and sauna
- television, radio, WiFi
The prices of the Workshop and half board accommodation, 26.9.-2.10.2020:
* Apartment for two persons: 1940 €/person/6 nights in an apartment for 2 persons
* Apartment for one person 2170 €/person/6 nights in an apartment for 1 person
* Superior cabin for 2 persons: 2078 €/person/6 nights in a cabin for 2 persons
* Superior cabin for one person: 2469 €/person/6 nights in a cabin for 1 person
The prices include
- guiding/training during 7 days
- return transfer Ivalo-Nuorgam-Ivalo
- photography workshops during 6 days
- accommodation in double or single cabins/apartmens with own sauna at Nuorgam Holiday Village
- breakfasts and dinners (halfboard)
For the extra charge (Please book optional excursions in advance)
- Canoe trip on the Polmakjoki River, 110 €/person if min 2 persons in a group
- Boat Trip on the Tenojoki River, 55 €/person if min 2 persons in a group
- King Crab Trip on the Varanger Fjord in Norway, 245 € / person if min 4 persons in a group
- Rental fat bikes 30 €/ 3 hours or 40 €/day
- travel insurance from your own insurance company
- flights to Ivalo airport, http://www.finnair.com