WINTER PHOTOGRAPHY WORKSHOP – NORTHERN LIGHTS IN THE ARCTIC EUROPE 13.-19.2. 2021
This winter photography workshop will give you great opportunity to experience primarily Northern Lights photography, but also arctic winter in Lapland and interesting winter excursions in a group of same spirit. Polar nights are just over and rays of the low-lying sun colour the fells in magnificent shades. It gives us magic circumstances to photograph the landscapes and the Northern Lights in the instruction by the professional photography trainer. Unique and outstanding nature of Lapland and the Arctic combined with a warm atmosphere await you.
Workshop name: Winter Photography Workshop – Northern Lights in the Arctic Europe, 13.-19.2.2021
Group size: 4 – 7 persons
Duration: 6 nights/7 days
Arrival: 13th February, 2021, Ivalo airport or hotel in Ivalo, Finland
Depart: 19th February, 2021: Ivalo airport or hotel in Ivalo, Finland
Destination: Finland, Nuorgam village, Holiday Village Nuorgam and the Arctic Ocean
Northern Lights are the most spectacular colour show of northern nature. They are light phenomena appearing as colourful, dancing and quickly moving lights that change form, and can be viewed in the northern regions in dark and clear night skies. Northern Lights can be observed starting from the last week in August, when the nights start to darken. Northern Lights can be viewed through to mid-April, following which the nights become too bright to spot these light phenomena. The more north you travel, the more often you will see the Northern Lights, and they are often visible throughout the night. The Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) are natural phenomena that can be forecasted on the basis of solar wind activity and of course the weather. We cannot guarantee the view of northern lights due to clouds and snow. If the weather will be too cloudy it`s not possible to see the Northern lights.
The northernmost village of EU, Nuorgam region is unique in Finland in terms of landscapes, natural light and atmosphere. There is no other treeless fell highland village that is this accessible. What’s more, Norway and the Arctic Ocean are nearby, providing many photography spots. There is plenty to photograph and film throughout the year, and photographers get to experience and film the strong sense of eight seasons in Nuorgam.
The workshop’s objectives, target group and content
The workshop is intended for intermediate and advanced level photographers who possess a certain mastery of their camera. The goal of the workshop is to help you to learn photograph the Northern Lights and at the same time to provide nature adventures in inspiring landscapes. In addition to theory lessons, the workshop participants will carry out assignments and receive feedback on their pictures. During the trip, the goal is to be actively photographing as much as possible. The small-group size allows the participants to benefit from ample guidance and feedback while on location. The terrain can be challenging at times but the walking distances are not long. Arctic Camera arranges photography workshops in Nuorgam in February during winter season and in September during snowless season.
Theory lesson themes content:
- Northern light photographer equipment
- Camera settings
- Manual focusing
- Northern lights as a phenomenon
- Northern light forecast
Clients own workshop equipment:
- Digital camera and camera manual
- Lenses (at least wide-angle lens f2,8 or more luminous)
- Weather appropriate clothing (winter -10C – -40 C)
- Winter boots are recommended
- Head lamp
Arctic Camera, your trainer of the photography workshop
Arctic Camera in Ivalo specializes in photography travel services. The company arranges photography workshops, photography tours and excursions and provides tour operator services.
My name is Jouni Männistö, and I am the owner and founder of Arctic Camera. I have extensive experience in nature tours and Northern Light photography. In addition to my nature hobbies, I also enjoy photographing in my spare time. I am the chair of our local photography association and I love to spend time in our awesome nature with my camera and telescope. I am passionate about location in northern Norway, and therefore I give my customers from all over the world the opportunity to join me on excursions there, to take pictures and enjoy the spectacular scenery. I have lived all my life in the Finnish Northern Lapland: it means I know the conditions and details. Earlier, several years I ran the activity company named Ivalo Trek Lapland, serving especially Northern Lights Safaris for tourists all around the world. Nearly every night during winters I used to photograph northern lights with my clients. Now, my present company Arctic Camera specializes in photography tours and workshops.
Arctic Camera look forward to seeing you on my workshops!
Nuorgam Holiday Village
Nuorgam Holiday Village and it´s environs are surrounded by a number of different sights and day trip locations. Staying at Nuorgam Holiday Village you can experience two nations on one trip! The Norwegian border is merely a stone’s throw away and the Arctic Ocean is only half an hour’s drive from Nuorgam. The clean and oxygen-rich air will ensure you sleep soundly at Nuorgam Holiday Village. You can stay with us any time of the year in high-standard apartments. The location of the holiday village on the shores of the great Tenojoki River, surrounded by the grand fell highlands, guarantees perfect natural tranquility.
The host couple of Nuorgam Holiday Village is Ms. Marjatta Holmberg and Mr. Raimo Hekkanen. The Holiday Village is Marjatta’s home and nowadays running the resort is the way of life for the entire family, as it has been already over 50 years. Marjatta’s parents, Johanna and Mauno established the family enterprise in 1970. Generational change was done in 1990, which gave brother and sister Marjatta and Veli responsibility for running the business. Since 2011, Marjatta and her husband Raimo, together with their children Santeri, Eemeli and Veera, have been running the holiday village.
Bookings and further information:
SALES AND WORKSHOP TRAINING :
ACCOMMODATION, MEALS AND OPTIONAL EXCURSIONS:
Holiday Village Nuorgam
Ms. Marjatta Holmberg and Mr. Raimo Hekkanen
– 20 % deposit after the booking and the rest 30 days /1 month before arriving. Arctic Camera send an invoice by email.
Terms of cancellation:
Please get to know our terms of cancellation.
Please contact Arctic Camera
We reserve the rights to change the order of the daily programs.
Accommodation to choose from
New superior standard cabins
There are four superior cabins with riverview. The brand-new semi-detached cabins are sitting right in the banks of Tenojoki River. Big windows offer a view over to the northern sky, from the lounge area you can admire Northern Lights. On the river side terrace, you can enjoy the silence and the spectacular fell landscapes.
Each cabin is comfortably and tastefully decorated with a combination of wood and modern design inspired by Lappish arctic nature and all 8 seasons’ colours. The spacious cabins are well-equipped. Fireplace is giving a warmth and sauna helps to relax after an active day in nature. The cabins are located in their own peacefulness but only 100 meters away from the main building where breakfast and dinner are served. The cabins are ideal for two persons but also meet the needs for a family of three or four persons. Size of the cabin is 40 m².
Facilities and amenities:
- Two semi-detached houses: each house has two individual cabins, all in all four Superior cabins with private sauna
- Size of one cabin is 40 sqm
- One bedroom with high quality double bed (180cm wide, beds can be separated)
- Bed linen and towels
- Lounge area with open-plan kitchen (full equipped)
- Sofa bed for 1-2 persons (155 cm wide)
- Spacious entrance hall
- Dinner table and chairs
- Bathroom with toilet, shower and sauna
- Furnished terrace decking on riverside
- TV and WIFI
- Parking space with outlet for electric heating
Apartments with own sauna
The atmosphere-rich apartments with sauna have been recently renovated and decorated in good taste. There are four open-plan apartments with sauna providing accommodation for 18 guests. The apartments are located in the main building or its immediate vicinity.
Facilities and amenities:
- electrical heating and lighting
- family room (lounge)
- two double bedrooms
- extra sleeping space for two persons on sofabed,
- clothes dryer
- two toilets
- shower and sauna
- television, radio, WiFi
Welcome with us!
The prices of the workshop and accommodation with half board for the time 13.-19.2.2021:
* Apartment for two persons: 1940 €/person/6 nights in an apartment for 2 persons
* Apartment for one person 2170 €/person/6 nights in an apartment for 1 person
* Superior cabin for 2 persons: 2078 €/person/6 nights in a cabin for 2 persons
* Superior cabin for one person: 2469 €/person/6 nights in a cabin for 1 person
The prices include
- guiding/training during 7 days
- return transfer Ivalo-Nuorgam-Ivalo
- photography workshops during 5 days
- accommodation in double or single cabins or apartmens at Nuorgam Holiday Village
- breakfasts and dinners (half board)
Optional excursions for the extra charge
- The Snowmobile Safari, duration 2 hours: 160 €/person when 1 person/snowmobile or 120 € /person when 2 persons/snowmobile if min 2 persons in a group. The price includes guidance in English, snowmobile (1-2 person/snowmobile), fuel, picnic lunch, (ice fishing equipment), warm overalls, helmet, insurance (self-liability payment of 750 €/accident)
- King Crab Trip, 245 € / person if min 4 persons in a group, duration 5 hrs. The price includes transportation, guidance in English, king crab program (3h), warm overalls if needed, fishing equipment and licenses
- The Life at the Reindeer Farm, duration 2 hrs. Price: € 90/person, min 4 person. Price includes transportation, guidance in English, program at the reindeer farm
- Rental winter clothing (thermal suits, boots, woollen socks, mitten and hat), make a reservation before your arrival.
Please, book your optional excursion in advance.
Flights from Helsinki to Ivalo airport, http://www.finnair.com